Looking for the Carp

Seize the carp! Or the day! Or the moment! Anything that will help make this life of yours richer, filled with love, and acceptance of yourself. This is my little journey to always be on the look out for that carp, grabbing it, and never letting go. This is the only life we have and it's too short for what ifs and maybe laters!

Tuesday 22 May 2012

12th Carp- 5KRace Runner ?

First of all, I am not a runner. If you ever meet me, you'll notice I'm definitely not built like a runner. To me, runners are slim and speedy. I'm more like the tortoise of the running world. Round, steady and if I fall onto my back, I won't be able to get back up again. 


But, when James was still baking I had this wild idea to run a 5K race three short months after he was born. I figured I would let myself heal for 6 weeks, until I get the go ahead from my doctor, and then I would start training. This was before the c-section, before James, before the crying and colic. When life post-baby was a vague future with me thinking I would be able to handle a new born and training all at the same time. I'm a woman right? We are pro's at multitasking. 


Well, needless to say, I didn't have any time to train. I spent my spare time napping with the occasional shower, not hitting the pavement. I would look at the calendar and realize that race day was fast approaching. I was already signed up and my mother-in-law was going to run with me. So I couldn't really back out, but I definitely wasn't looking forward to it. In fact, my Facebook status that day read: "Wow it's my first mothers day today! How am I celebrating ? 5 k run in Fredericton. Didn't train at all so it might turn into a 5k walk/ jog/ pass out at the finish line race." Oh... did I mention the race was on Mothers Day? My first mothers day and I might be spending it dead on my feet before reaching the finish line at 8:00 in the morning. Excellent. 


So we were getting ready. My mother-in-law by my side. She didn't train either so we had the game plan that we would run as much as we could and walk when we needed to. It's still an accomplishment if we finished, we thought. The gun went and we were off. I was running. I was running! I was running without shin splints that have plagued me for years, without my legs burning, without being short of breath. How on god's green Earth was I running without any pain/ problems at all when I've always struggled with run training? 


Then it dawned on me. I remembered all those nights I spent squatting, lunging, and consoling an inconsolable James. I had trained every night for the last 3 months! Just not on the roads or the trails, but in a 10X11 nursery. I felt great! I listened to 2 1/2 songs before my first 'break'. After a quick breather, we went at it again. In total, I think we probably ran 4 out of the 5 kilometers. Our time wasn't too bad either, considering, finishing the race after 37 minutes. Wow! Just wow! I was so proud of both of us. 




So now with James growing by leaps and bounds every day, I am actually going to dedicate some time to really get into race training. I even bought a running stroller so that I can take him along with me. I figured he helped me train for my first race, he should be with me while I continue my running journey. In fact, I have another race coming up in August that I want to challenge myself with. This time a 5 mile race which is about 8-ish kilometers. This is going to be more of a challenge, not only because of the increase in length, but also because the course itself has more hills. However, it doesn't matter. After that day, I know I can do it and I'm going to do it. Will I ever be a running enthusiast? Probably not. But I am definitely looking forward to crossing that off my bucket list. 


What's your carp? 





No comments:

Post a Comment